The design hotel in South Tyrol
Built entirely based on ecological principles.
“You will not be able to create anything more beautiful than this place already is,” – with these words, the builder-owner Ulrich Ladurner instructed the architect Matteo Thun to construct a hotel that was to reflect the preciousness of the place, Monte San Vigilio/Vigiljoch above the town of Lana near Merano/Meran. A goal which the vigilius mountain resort, the design hotel in South Tyrol, not only meets but surpasses. It gently nestles into the surrounding landscape like a fallen tree and opens up the view onto ancient larch trees and the unique mountain scenery of the Dolomites – inconspicuous architecture where comfort and design blend together harmoniously.
This nature hotel in South Tyrol, vigilius mountain resort, has been committed to its ecological ethos from the very start. The modern wood-built hotel lives in genuine respect of its surroundings, environment and nature, which is reflected throughout all its areas. As a result, South Tyrol’s design hotel literally appears to merge with its surroundings. The whole of the building is constructed out of renewable resources: wood and glass create warmth and at the same time allow for magnificent views into the distance over the surrounding area. The pledge to nature also continues in the details of course: clay walls and warm fabrics made from natural materials convey comfort, the efficient use of water, paper etc. is exemplary. And the kitchen, too, mainly uses local products from nearby, preferably from organic farming.
Matteo Thun’s hotel
“Eco, not ego”.
The architect Matteo Thun’s motto has been consistently realised throughout the hotel from the very start. When constructing a hotel like the vigilius mountain resort it should not be about succumbing to the charm of modern architecture and creating a building in your own style. Rather, it is nature and the special place that serve as the model: a place with so much inherent energy demands a great deal of respect and care to accentuate these strengths. Nestled in forests and fields, the boundary between nature and architecture is barely perceptible here. The materials used also reinforce this impression: larch trees around the hotel, larch wood as a construction element that is untreated outside and left natural inside. Large glass elements with triple glazing protect against the weather conditions on the mountain, combined with natural stone, silver quartzite and clay. The architecture’s aesthetic design, the clarity and simplicity of this Matteo Thun hotel never convey a rustic impression despite it being a wood-built structure.
Although the vigilius mountain resort is situated in a very exposed location, the heating requirements at this design hotel in South Tyrol are extremely low thanks to the building shell and construction. Right from the start it was clear that the design hotel with A-class ClimateHouse certification was to be heated using biomass. The wood chips used come from mountain farmers in the direct vicinity for whom the hotel’s business represents a secure sideline income. Optimised combustion with effective flue gas filtration makes for minimal pollutant emissions.
As a nature hotel in South Tyrol
the vigilius mountain resort is a great showcase project for sustainable tourism with high ecological standards. In 2005 the WWF association “Panda d’Oro” awarded the “Amici del clima” special prize to the design hotel in South Tyrol. Due to the high energy standard and innovative system technology the Matteo Thun hotel was classified as the first A-class ClimateHouse hotel in Italy in the same year. The Italian environmental association “Legambiente” awarded the renowned “Premio all’innovazione amica dell’ambiente” environmental prize to the vigilius mountain resort in 2006. In 2009, South Tyrol’s nature hotel was one of seven hotels worldwide to receive five green stars and therefore the highest number of points from “Eco hotels of the world”. The vigilius mountain resort is currently working together with design hotels™ on the “EarthCheck” certification for sustainability.
As a result of its location, the vigilius mountain resort has further received numerous awards and nominations from the tourism industry as a “very special” design hotel and wellness hotel.
- EarthCheck June 2019: Silver certificate
- EarthCheck July 2018: Silver certificate
- World Boutique Hotel Awards - World's Most Sustainable Hotel 2016
- EarthCheck July 2016: Silver certificate
- Gault Millau Service Award Südtirol 2017
- EarthCheck June 2016: Silver certificate
- EarthCheck July 2015: Bronze certificate
- Geo Saison January 2014 - The best hotels in Europe: 1st place in the mountain hotels category
- 2010 to 2013 environmental certification in accordance with ISO 14001
- Also in the summer of 2010 awarding of “ClimateHotel” certificate by the ClimateHouse agency in Bolzano/Bozen
- Geo Saison January/February 2010: The 100 best hotels in Europe, design hotels category
- Eco Hotels of the World awards the vigilius mountain resort 5 green stars
- Geo Saison January/February 2009: The best hotels in Europe: 1st place in the design hotels category
- Concierge.com March 2008: “World's sexiest hotel pools”
- Der Feinschmecker March 2008: Travel tips for South Tyrol, the land of indulgence
- Geo Saison January/February 2008 - The best hotels in Europe: 2nd place in the design hotels category
- Hubertus von Hohenlohe’s 500 very special hotels 2008/2009 awarded with “outstanding”
- Geo Saison February 2007 - The best hotels in Europe: 1st place in the design hotels category
- Hubertus von Hohenlohe’s 500 very special hotels 2007/2008/2009
- The Wienerin Spa Guide 2007: The 45 most beautiful spa oases in Austria and Europe
- 2006/2007 recommendation by the Diners Club Magazin Germany
- avedition 2006: Best designed ecological hotels
- teNeues 2006: Cool Hotels Ecological
- Legambiente December 2006: “Premio all'innovazione amica dell’ambiente” environmental prize
- Focus September 2006: The 550 best hotels in the world
- Gala Spa Award “Special Places” – April 2006
- Ranked in Conde Nast Traveller’s “The Hot List – Top 50 World Wide”
- 2005 The first hotel in Italy awarded as an A class ClimateHouse business
- WWF Panda d’Oro 2005 – Premio speciale “Amici del clima” for sustainable Alpine tourism
- Vorarlberger Holzbaupreis 2005
- Carpe Diem Wellbeing Award 2005
- Geo Saison 2005 recommendation for the Restaurant 1500
- Elle Spa Guide 2005 “The 60 best wellness addresses in Europe”
- Wallpaper Design Awards Winner – Best New Eco Retreat 2004